One of the many requirements of the new MGA will be an Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework. This is for those municipalities outside of the greater Calgary and Edmonton regions. The provincial government intends to work with stakeholders to define the requirements. From their posting, they indicate the regulations will include:
- minimum requirements regarding Intermunicipal land-use planning;
- minimum list of services to be considered on a regional basis;
- a dispute resolution process for when partnering municipalities cannot agree;
- timelines for completion;
- authority to exempt municipalities in certain cases; and
- other matters as required.